Chevron Progress

Slowly but surely the re-do of the jelly roll race quilt is coming together as a chevron quilt. And I like it. The goal was to use only quarter square triangles. I didn’t like the bulk in the center seam so added 1-1/2 inch strips between the triangles.

The triangles have the seams pressed open. I know you are all aghast at me for that as I preach pressing to the side. But this time it was the right thing to do.

And as I stitched I found that I could match the points with the strips better if I stitched with the pieced strip on top. However to keep the seam allowance from flipping as I stitched I had to use a stylus.

So what do you think? Are those strips too distracting? Other possibilities were to use different fabrics for the black strips and varying widths for the background strips but I took the easy way this time. How would you do this one?

20140109-084659.jpg20140109-084718.jpg

 
 

Quilt Rescue

A couple of weeks ago I had the urge to just sit and stitch and stitch and decided to make a jelly roll race quilt with my stash of red and black and white fabrics (mostly batiks). When the jelly roll race quilt top was finished, it was unsightly to say the least. I can’t even find a photo of it–and you know how I take pictures. You will just have to believe me. At that point, I folded it up and set it aside.

Over the weekend, I needed something to putter with after making all those capes. It seemed there had to be a way to save all that fabric and that the quilt top could be cut up to make something else. I played around with a few things like an equilateral triangle and a tumbler. They were fine, but everything seemed to have a lot of points or corners to match, and I wanted something quick and easy. At this point, the goal is to make this a leader and ender project.

While playing around with the equilateral triangle, it struck me that a Chevron design might be the answer. And by taking off two strips at a time and using the quarter square triangle die for the 6 inch square, a great save and pretty project was created. The gray is a Kona cotton, color Iron.

2-IMG_4896

1-IMG_4895