Elsa came through this week on her way to the Northeast with a little wind and a lot of rain. I decided to bind a couple of quilts that were waiting. The first one was for my granddaughter. She’s worked on it off and on for a couple of years. She’s a good stitcher, but prefers working with animals and playing softball. It’s a beautiful quilt and I used a pantograph called Batiks to quilt it. I also volunteered to bind it for her.
The second quilt is one that I made with a charm pack. It’s just a split nine patch and is lap sized. It’s a Riley Blake fabric. It is a pretty quilt and the fabrics are beautiful. Sometimes it feels good just to do something quick and easy and finish.
Sherry and I had lunch on Friday. It’s so nice to go out to lunch again for good food and good company. It was a great way to finish the week. Many of our favorite restaurants in Chapel Hill are no longer open, and we miss them. Fortunately one of our favorite places in Graham is still open and it was nice to eat there.
Over Thanksgiving weekend I quilted a Christmas quilt gift for Sherry’s granddaughter. Sherry made matching quilts for the little girl and her baby doll. They are just perfect – and the quilting is a design that I love. It is the Be Mine digital edge to edge by Patricia E. Ritter and Leisha Farnsworth of Urbanelementz.
This is the baby doll quilt:
And this is the little girl quilt. I took this photo just before taking it off the quilt frame.
And Ted is much better. He still has a low-grade fever, but it is definitely not COVID so that is good news. He is corresponding with the doctor regarding some lab tests and an antibiotic so life will be back to normal soon.
We had birthdays over the weekend. Ted is a day younger than me. Our grandchildren in Cincinnati called to wish us a Happy Birthday. We had the longest conversation with the 3 and 6 year olds. They were so excited about their Christmas decorations. They got to help set up the Nativity scene and reassured us that they had added a little Santa, three gnomes, a chick, and a bird for baby Jesus.
Yesterday was a most challenging and successful adventure in quilting an antique quilt. When I got the top I knew it had issues like fragile fabric and seams that had pulled apart. I also knew that it was set on point and that all the setting triangles had bias edges that curved outard. But I didn’t realize that it was more than five inches longer along the edges than it was in the middle. The original plan was to add borders to straighten up those setting triangles and repair all the seams that had piled apart. This is a hand pieced top.
Well–the best laid plans of mice and men. . . I called the quilt owner and told her it was much more work and would be much more expensive to finish than my original quote. She gave me the go-ahead and I proceeded. I loaded the back and backing and gently laid the top on the frame. With lots of pins and gathering the edges with hand basting I got the whole quilt flat against the back and machine basted. Here are pics of the before and after. These are not pics of the same areas because I only took pics near the end of the basting and I haven’t gotten there with the quilting.
I am using a quilting design of my own called ‘Kes’ as I knew it would give good stabilization and even coverage with a neutral design that would be fitting for any era.
Do you think this looks like a “modern” quilt with the stars set inside chevrons?
Today’s post is a teaser for Sherry. Finished her quilt this weekend, and it turned out beautifully. This one was a challenge in choosing a quilting design so I finally chose lines that were similar to the patterns in the batiks. The piecing is the piece de resistance on this quilt, so the quilting really needed to be less obvious. And I think that was achieved in the area of the piecing, but am not as happy that I did it edge to edge, as it might have looked nicer with a more neutral treatment in the borders–or at least a thread that matched the border fabric. However, we can second guess ourselves forever — so I have decided to be happy with it the way it is. The quilting design is called “Greener Grass” and it is one I designed several years ago based on my own freehand quilting.