First, I’ll get down to giveaway business. The question was asked whether one could enter every day for more chances. I set this up very simply, so will have one entry per person per comment(s) for the week. Multiple entrants wrote twice, once to enter and once about the newsletter, so I think this is the fairest way to deal with that as it was not specified in the original instructions. If you have more questions, let me know and I will answer as soon as possible.
Now to the business of quilting. One of the reasons for getting the Rick Rack die was an idea that has been in the back of my mind for a long time. A very long time ago, I saw a quilt that had a single border of two inch strips pieced down the left side (like Chinese coins) and beautiful applique flowers on the right, separated by a strip of wide rick rack. That quilt inspired my first endeavor with the Rick Rack die.
I have had the fabric for my great nephew’s quilt for more than a year but have not gotten it made. The plan was to cut each of the animals out of the panel fabric and make blocks. But when I looked at the fabric and started to measure the circles around the animals, I realized that they are all different sizes and there is not enough fabric between to adjust for that. Thus the plan had to be changed. In the end, it was a much easier quilt top to make.
This is it – a panel, wide borders top and bottom, and a striped wide border on the left with Rick Rack separating the striped border from the rest of the quilt. It’s not as pretty as the applique quilt that I saw, but I think a toddler will like this quite well.
The Rick Rack strip was cut from a 2 1/2 inch strip of fabric with fusible web attached to the back before being cut. The rick rack was fused over the seam and then stitched on the machine using an applique stitch and Aurifil 50 wt cotton thread.