These little mug rugs turned out to be so cute. And the grandchildren love them. I think I’ll have to make enough to give away to them and their friends – or maybe I could give them to trick or treaters instead of candy. These were so much fun to make – I fell in love with machine embroidery applique using die cut shapes all over again.
When I started these, my goal was to make a set of machine embroidery applique designs that could go in my shop for Halloween and that would use the Accuquilt Circle Die as the shape. I actually purchased these designs for digitizing – it’s the first time I have purchased designs rather than sketching them myself. There are still some design tweaks that need to be done. Count Dracula is going to get some changes as is one of the pumpkins.
As I worked, I realized that it would be nice to have them as mug rugs, but in order to do them in the hoop the size would be limited. The first ones I made were square and the front and back were cut using the 6″ finished square die. I tried a rectangular one that would fit a 5 x 7″ hoop, but it was really too small for the witch design. So, I threw caution to the wind and made a larger rectangular one that would fit a 6 x 8″ hoop. And I love it. So, for mug rugs in the hoop, I think one has to have a larger hoop. My Viking has an 8 x 10″ hoop, so with a little more experimentation, I think I could come up with a larger one.
The other part that was important to me was to have the edges finished with a seam. Thus, I layered stabilizer, batting, and fabric and then stitched the design. After the design was finished, I added the backing with right sides together and let the machine stitch the backing onto the front. The mug rug is then removed from the machine and turned right side out and the opening is hand stitched or fabric glued together.