After posting yesterday, I continued to quilt some samples until I had a better idea of what I wanted to do on the candy hearts quilt. If you remember, this is how I started.
After looking at this a bit, I decided to change the heart. After I did that, I looked at the background fill and decided that it would be better visually, if it were round. In the top part of the image below, you can see how I changed the background fill in the upper part of the block.
This gave me a pretty good idea of where I was going, so I loaded the Candy Hearts quilt and started work on it. I finished the stitch in the ditch and the ribbon candy in the frames and have started adding the hearts in the plain blocks. The plain blocks are smaller than my sample, so will have to see what fill will work best in the wider areas.