I am re-reading some books in honor of Black History month. Here’s my February booklist, and yes, all are about women. You may have read some of these, but The Bondwoman’s Narrative is one of my favorites because it is the first known book written by a female African American slave.
I also purchased two books with biographical sketches: one is a book about African American women in science, and one is a book about 100 African Americans who shaped history. When I was growing up our church library had a whole section of biographies. Many of them were about African Americans like Booker T. Washington and others. I love biographies and will enjoy learning about these individuals.
This is my list:
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
- Their Eyes were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- The Bondwoman’s Narrative by Hannah Crafts
- Cane River by Lalita Tademy
- Red River by Lalita Tademy
- The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd